Character formation cannot be taught. It comes from experience and not from explanation.” ~Maria Montessori
In addition to our well-rounded Montessori program, we also offer the following menu of extracurricular activities for further enrichment for children ages 3 to 12 years:
- Music- Music lessons teach children to recognize various notes, become familiar with the structure of the music staff, find rhythm in both music and every day sounds, and learn about how music tells stories from bluegrass, to jazz, to rock’n’roll. Finally, all lessons incorporate movement exercises that teach gross motor control whether through learning the ballet positions, practicing stage blocking, or keeping tempo.
- Dance- This is a developmental dance, motor development and fitness program, teaching the basics of Ballet, Acrobatics and Creative Movement while blending educational concepts. Our Dance program is designed to help children grow and become more confident about themselves as dancers.
- Young Scientist- Our fun science experiments are engaging, interactive, and are hands-on exploration of everyday science that happens around us. The children enjoy captivating demonstrations, perform simple science experiments and discover how science can help us to better understand the world around us.
- Little Yogis-Little Yogis incorporates playful and creative ways for children to exercise and balance their mind and body through yoga. Children will have an opportunity to explore music and movement, dance, and play. Children’s yoga uses animated poses and stretching to promote strength, balance, and coordination. While doing so, they will explore breathing, visualization, and relaxation techniques to help focus, relax, and develop self-control. The class will also encourage teamwork, and the development of self-confidence and motor coordination.
- Sports- Our program follows a age-appropriate scope and sequence to insure educational and physical milestones are met. This weekly early childhood physical education, nutrition and wellness program improves the level of fitness in our Stars and teaches them the importance of a healthy lifestyle and the perils of inactivity.
- Lego Engineering & Robotics- Ask questions like WHY? WHAT? or HOW things work? Design, Experiment and Explore the concepts of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Let your Imagination run wild & enjoy the endless possibilities of your imagination.
- Art-The art program compliments the Montessori philosophy encouraging children to express themselves through various materials. Art theory and technique is introduced to the students through means of exploration and discovery, building a foundation for artistic expression and aesthetic awareness. Special cultural studies throughout the year expand the children’s knowledge of not only traditional art forms from around the world, but the history of Art as a whole. Art provides children with a natural way to communicate thoughts, feelings and ideas as well as a way to develop an understanding and appreciation of the artistic process.
- Performing Arts- Music, Movement and Drama lessons comprise our Performing Arts program. Each of these aspects is divided into practical as well as historical and creative lessons. Drama lessons teach children how to express feelings with facial expressions, write stories, design sets and costumes, and explore theater history.
- Cooking- Cooking, is a hands-on, educational and tasty introduction to the diverse roles organic foods play in our world. Activities will consist of preparing healthy snacks and seasonal favorites like Squash Ravioli, Apple Crumble, as well as fun fruit & veggie smoothies. Students will learn to follow a sequence of steps, use measuring tools, and work together through group activities that are both socially stimulating and rewarding. Each week a new recipe will be sent home for continuous food fun.
- Language- Spanish, Mandarin-The full immersion approach benefits children of all Spanish and Mandarin levels (native speakers and beginners). The language is taught through a variety of activities, such as role-playing, movement, music, stories and crafts. The focus of this class will be communication skills and listening comprehension.
- Story Time Book ClubStory-time Book Club in our beautiful “Reading Hut”, encourages learning and literacy skills. Through reading, group discussion, and the presentation of an extension activity art project, the children will practice taking turns, making predictions, and problem solving as we analyze the stories. We will have fun while the children build the self-confidence necessary to learn to read on their own.